Occupy Nashua General Assembly Tuesday July 17
This event took place at Thousand Crane restaurant back room. All members signed in. This was a public event.
Eric Zulowski (facilitator)
Joining late: Able Freeman
Introductions were made by all members and new members.
Agenda items were discussed and arranged by order of importance according to popular vote.
1. Proposal: MA introduced a proposal: given the state of the situation within Occupy New Hampshire, the splitting off and inner conflict, it is proposed that Occupy Nashua remain neutral and not take sides within the organizational split. A consensus was reached, and Nashua will remain neutral.
2. Facebook admin page: update was made that Mark P. was removed by Heather as an admin on the Occupy Nashua page. Current admins are MA, Ben, Danny, Heather, Tim, Alva. Heather had discussed mark’s removal with other FB admins, Ben and Alva. Heather said she did not know how to reach Tim. She discussed her feelings about Mark P “over sharing” with MA. And MA said she would have a conversation about it with Mark P. which later took place by MA. MA misunderstood the conversation when the conversation happened and thought that Heather wanted to give Mark a message to step off the page and let others post to it; the language “remove as admin” was not used with MA, therefore, the misunderstanding. A question was asked to the group if Mark P should be restored as an admin. Consensus showed that at this time members participating feel that for the time being, Mark P should not have admin role on Nashua page. At some point the admins who are assigned the role will have a discussion on it.
3. Should Occupy Nashua accept the declaration of Occupy Wall Street? The document was shared. Members participating wanted to review the material before taking any vote. This matter will be tabled for later discussion.
4. Inter-Occupy Code of Behavior. Ben brought this to the table for review and printed copies of the document were handed out. At this time occupy Nashua members present would like to review the document. Some commented that the standards listed in the document were of valid importance in terms of how people conduct themselves and take responsibility for their actions. It was mentioned that the FB admins should review this document and take their responsibility as an admin seriously so as not to offend others.
5. Film Series
Occupy Nashua is in agreement to continue with a proposed film series. “Koch Brothers Exposed”. About 30 people attended in June, it appears the community is eager to have the opportunity to learn about current events related to world conflict, exposing the 1%, etc. We can promote the events. M A will connect with the library community relations and book the theatre for the “Walmart-High Cost of Low Price” and “Rethink Afghanistan”.
6. Upcoming actions:
Take down Frank Guinta Sunday July 22 at Fisher cat’s stadium, Manchester 1:00. Visibility protest by the Credo Pac. For more info: www.takedownguinta.com/
The “Occupy New Hampshire” cause is holding a General Assembly Sunday July 22nd www.facebook.com/events/445499295483589/
Converge on the Conference: A number of actions are taking place, including a human oil spill during the Governor’s Conference in Burlington, VT on Sunday, July 29th. www.facebook.com/events/295930743836595/
7. Meeting dates and changes to schedule:
Occupy Nashua will continue to meet 2x monthly on the first and 3rd Tuesday of the month. Discussion on moving the meeting outside was raised. There was some visibility at City Hall when the group first began meeting. Some people expressed meeting outside is good for visibility, but not in the hot weather.
8. Demonstrations/ outreach and visibility
Soup kitchen: Heather mentioned the Nashua Soup Kitchen needs volunteers, serving food. Heather will find out more information on when this could be arranged and how many people would be needed. There is some interest among the group to volunteer. This is an individual volunteer opportunity.
Where does Occupy Nashua stand with other events?
Pride fest? Occupy Nashua organized Operation Pride during the Primary. It was hugely successful and has spawned a new group/working committee that is organizing “Pridefest” in Manchester August 11th. Committee meetings are open to anyone who wants to be involved. Contact Ryan Glen Hirsch. Meetings happen Monday nights at “The Orange”, Orange St. Manchester. Consensus was reached that Occupy Nashua supports Pridefest. Heather offered to transport anyone from Nashua who needed a ride. Discussion on the doggy-drag show was held. Maybe we could build a fenced in area using portable fencing for the dogs. Heather has fencing.
Hands Across NH: A planned event for September regarding No Northern Pass. (September 1st). There was discussion about Northern Pass presented by MA. People need to become more aware of the project before making a commitment to the event. MA will make a link to information on No Northern Pass.
Posting future events-Nashua Patch. For future events, we can post on Nashua Patch. Other media outlets were suggested and discussed.
Next local Occupy Nashua GA will be Tuesday August 7th. We will meet at 6:30 at Thousand Crane.
Update on film series: MA booked the library for “Occupy Nashua film series”
August 16th: Walmart-High Cost of Low Cost
September 4th: Rethink Afghanistan
November 19th: Food Inc.
These minutes submitted by MA O’Connor